As expected, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper’s announcement Wednesday that the state will remain in phase two of its reopening plan through at least Sept. 11 will mean a further delay for the start of the high school fall sports season.
The North Carolina High School Athletic Association had previously pushed the start of official fall tryouts and practices back from Aug. 1 to Sept. 1, but with the state remaining in phase two, that will be further delayed.
NCHSAA Commissioner Que Tucker said in an official statement that the association’s board of directors would “review all available options” and seek input from their sports medicine advisory committee and other bodies before making a decision on a calendar for playing sports this school year.
The association hopes to make its announcement by Aug. 17.
“We want to play sports during this upcoming school year and are making plans to do so; however, the health and safety of all participants, including coaches and other essential staff, will be a priority as decisions and plans are made,” Tucker said.