Beginner and intermediate fly fishing courses, along with fly fishing excursions, are back by popular demand with Haywood County Recreation.
The fly fishing clinics consist of four weekly sessions over the course of a month, covering casting, fly tying, reading the water and more.
The first three classes in each series are held below the dam at Lake Junaluska, where a waterfall coming over the dam creates a large pool. The final session is a field trip to the West Fork of the Pigeon River.
The clinics will be led by fly fishing guru Tommy Thomas, a master fly rod builder and president of the Cataloochee Chapter of Trout Unlimited on behalf of Haywood County Rec.
Loaner rods are available. Cost is $10 per session. Register by calling 828-452-6789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• June 4, 11, 19 & 25. 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
• July 9, 16, 24 & 30. 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
• August 6, 13, 21 & 24. 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
• June 4, 11, 19 & 25. 1-3 p.m.
• July 9, 16, 24 & 30. 1-3 p.m.
• August 6, 13, 21 & 24. 1-3 p.m.
Fly fishing expeditions for intermediate and advanced anglers consist of a three-hour outing led by local, experienced fly fishermen, Ray Sugg and Reid Warren.
A fishing license is required; limited to seven participants.
Each expedition is $10. Register by calling 828-452-6789 or email email@example.com.
• Richland Creek: May 22, June 26, July 10, July 17, July 31, August 7.
• West Fork of the Pigeon River: June 4 and June 12.
• Jonathan Creek: August 14: and August 28.