Asheville highway.jpg

Private bridges used by one or more residences may need to go through a building and flood permit process before they are rebuilt.

Private bridges in the county that were damaged in Tropical Storm Fred may need to go through a permitting process before being replaced.

A county news release advised residents to check with Haywood County Development Services office by calling 452-6638 during regular business hours.

"Before starting any storm-recovery construction project, including bridges, the first step for homeowners should be to register your loss with FEMA and apply for Individual Assistance," the news release stated. "Losses not covered by homeowners/flood insurance may be eligible for FEMA assistance."

Register online at:; by phone: 1-800-621-3362 or TTY 1-800-462-7585.

The FEMA App can also be downloaded.

Private bridges that provide access a single residence may need a flood permit. Private bridges that provide access to two or more residences may need both a flood  and building permit. More details on the process will be provided by the Development Services staff.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Load comments

Thank you for reading!

Please purchase a subscription to read our premium content. If you have a subscription, please log in or sign up for an account on our website to continue.