Students at Hazelwood Elementary were dismissed early Monday, after a gas leak was found in a parking area on the southeast side of the school campus. The school will be closed for all activities Tuesday for ongoing repairs of a natural gas line.
School employees reported smelling propane before noon Monday, and summer school students, summer childcare students and staff were evacuated to a soccer field. Maintenance and emergency services crews were notified and parents were sent messages.
“I want to thank the prompt and organized response of school staff, our maintenance department, local fire officials, and others responding to the situation,” Superintendent Bill Nolte said in a news release. “When I arrived at the school, students were being loaded on buses and in cars by school staff. Fire officials were managing the leak site and staff members were managing traffic. I am so thankful for our people. When something like this happens, our people go to work.”
No other school sites were involved in the incident.
Tuesday's closure applies to all activities, including summer school, summer childcare, athletic camps and other activities both inside and outside on campus. Haywood County Schools will make an announcement Tuesday afternoon regarding progress on the natural gas line repairs.