A magnolia tree near the Canton Area Historical Museum was one of at least two transplanted more than 50 years ago to make room for future mill expansion, and the museum is seeking information about where the tree originally stood and where the other magnolia tree may be.
Reuben B. Robertson, one of Champion’s founders had a love for magnolia trees and had some planted around the former “Y.” During 1957, there was a concerted effort to have at least two of the trees transplanted to make room for future mill expansion.
Photos shared by the museum show the extreme effort it took to transplant the trees, and a color photo shows the magnolia tree that stands just to the right of the Canton Area Historical Museum.
The museum is trying to solve two mysteries surrounding the tree: The first is, which one is it? Is it possible to tell from the photos? The next is, where was the other tree transplanted?
Anyone with information about the magnolia trees is asked to contact the Canton Area Historical Museum at 828-646-3412.