AARP is offering a strategy to combat driving problems faced by many mature drivers. A Smart Driver course, a new version of the previous driver safety refresher course, is available to local drivers. In this Smart Driver course you’ll learn the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques, and how to operate your vehicle more safely in today’s increasingly challenging driving environment. You’ll learn how you can manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time.
The AARP Smart Driver Course is being held from 1-5 p.m. on Wednesday, June 12 at the Canton Senior Center. Registration begins at 12:30 p.m.
Participants will learn:
- How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
- How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
- The safest ways to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
- Proper use of safety belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, and new technologies used in cars
- Ways to monitor your own and others’ driving skills and capabilities
- The effects of medications on driving
- The importance of eliminating distractions, such as eating, smoking, and cell-phone use
- To reserve a spot in class, call the Canton Senior Center at 828-648-8173. AARP members $15, non-members $20. Insurance discounts may apply. Contact your insurance agent to see if the discount is available to you.