This simple appetizer is perfect for a brunch — or any other time.
Start to finish: 40 minutes
- 24 fresh asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 14-ounce package puff pastry
- 16 thin slices of Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
2. Trim the bottoms from the asparagus spears. Coat the asparagus with the olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Roll the puff pastry dough until it’s about half an inch thick. Cut it into eight equal-sized squares.
4. Place one slice of Gruyere, three asparagus spears, one more slice of Gruyere and one tablespoon of grated Parmesan diagonally across each puff pastry square. Join the two opposite corners of the pastry dough, leaving the ends of the asparagus showing.
5. Combine the egg yolk and water. Using a pastry brush, lay a thin coat of the egg mixture over the pastry and sprinkle on the sesame seeds.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
7. Garnish with the fresh thyme and serve.