The Journey Scholarship is available to youth in the communities that participate in the WNC Honors Awards. In Haywood County, the eligible communities are: Beaverdam, Bethel, Fine’s Creek, North Hominy and Pigeon. Those who do not live in those communities, or do not participate in the community centers above, will not be eligible.
One of the important benefits of participating in the WNC annual honors program is that high school seniors in the community are able to apply for the Journey Scholarship to help with college costs for their freshman year.
“For the past two years, the Bethel Rural Community Organization (BRCO) has been honored to have three Bethel students receive the Journey Scholarship: Bella Sorrells and Joseph Putnam in 2018 and Emma Sorrells in 2019,” said Evelyn Coltman, of the BRCO. “We are proud of these students and are hopeful that other students will apply.”
Eligibility for Journey Scholarship
• Applicant must live in one of the communities or participate in one of the community centers listed above.
• Applicants must have at least a 3.0 unweighted GPA to be considered
• Only high school students eligible to be admitted into college can apply for this scholarship
• Scholarships are for an accredited four or two year college program
• Scholarships are awarded without regard to race, creed, sex, ethnic background, handicap or origin Criteria
• Good character
• Academic ability and achievement
• Extracurricular activities
• Financial need
• Community service (outstanding contributions to school and community) Application instructions
• Applications are available from high school guidance office or community clubs listed above.
• Applicants only, not parents, must complete all the items on the checklist on the first page of the application. • Application must be reviewed and verified by an officer from a community club listed above.
If your application is not verified by a community club officer from one of the communities listed above, the application will not be accepted.
If applicants are not certain who to contact, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request this information. Do not wait until the deadline to make a request, it will not be acknowledged.
Completed application must be postmarked or emailed by Friday, March 20, to: WNC Communities, 594 Brevard Rd., Asheville, NC 28806 or emailed to email@example.com. Selection, scholarship details
The Journey Scholarship Committee is determined by the WNC Communities Executive Committee. Based on the stated criteria, the Journey Scholarship Committee will select recipients from completed applications. Students selected to receive scholarships will be notified by email after the selection meeting April 30. Most scholarships are available for only one year and are nonrenewable.
The Journey Scholarship committee is considering offering the opportunity of a renewable scholarship to one of the selected students upon successful completion of their freshman year. Payment of awards
Payment of the scholarship will be made directly to the college at the beginning of the freshman year. Students who achieve full scholarships from another source are ineligible to receive this scholarship.