The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is providing assistance to those eligible during the COVID-19 pandemic.
New applicants may self-refer by visiting https://www.nutritionnc.com/wic/wic-referral.asp.
NC WIC COVID-19 food package waivers
If a store is out of the product type/size issued in food benefits, the following items are allowed:
- Bread — 100% whole wheat or whole grain, any size 16-24 oz.
- Milk — when issued skim/non-fat or 1%, you can get 2%.
- Yogurt — when issued skim/non-fat or 1%, you can get whole-fat.
To be eligible a person must:
- Be a pregnant woman, a breastfeeding woman who has had a baby in the last 12 months; a woman who has had a baby in the last six months; an infant; or a child up to five years old;
- Reside in North Carolina;
- Meet income eligibility requirements: The Gross annual household income cannot exceed 185% of the Federal poverty income guidelines; All Medicaid, Food and Nutrition Services (food stamps) and Work First recipients meet the WIC income eligibility criteria; and
- Have an identified nutritional risk as determined by a health professional.
The WIC Program is available Monday- Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 157 Paragon Parkway, Suite 800 Clyde.
To learn more, call 828-356-2222 or 828-356-2221.